Canberra Academy of Languages – Home
Our purposeThe Canberra Academy of Languages is a not-for-profit organisation, established in 2016 to expand opportunities for language learning in the Canberra region as a specialist facility preparing senior secondary students as local and global citizens.
Who our programs are forOur programs commenced in 2017. We provide courses for Year 11-12 students to continue learning in their chosen languages, where these courses are not available through their schools or other providers.
Our valuesWe value excellence, equity and a civil society.
RegistrationThe Canberra Academy of Languages is registered with the ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies (BSSS) as a Specialist Education Provider, with effect until 31 December 2022.
See our current flier for an overview of our purpose, programs and plans.
We look forward to working with students, families and schools in providing expanded opportunities for language learning that complement existing programs in languages offered in the ACT.
Convener, Canberra Academy of Languages
ProvisionThe academy provides language learning programs in selected languages for which courses have been endorsed by the ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies. We are also exploring opportunities to develop courses in areas not currently offered in ACT senior secondary programs, for which there is an evident need in the Canberra region.
For 2018, we are offering Continuing and Advanced programs, subject to viable enrolment numbers, in French, German and Indonesian, from the ACT BSSS Type 1 Continuing courses.
Enrolment is via school-sponsored places (suggested when students reduce their workload by one line to undertake a language externally) or family-sponsored places (suggested when students undertake a course as an external line additional to their full-time day program). Enrolments are now open for 2018. Costs are $500 per term (which may be offset by any applicable subsidies), paid at the start of each term. Please email or call us to obtain an enrolment form.
Why learn languagesLearning languages provides cognitive, social and functional benefits. Mastering communication skills in another language delivers benefits that include:
- Improved thinking skills, with benefits in other learning areas and in broader life experiences
- A better understanding of how languages work, including English
- An understanding that other languages differ from English and an improved capacity to learn additional languages
- Direct access to literature, music, film and other expressions of culture in the arts and humanities through the target language
- Access to a new frame of reference and perspective for understanding and interpreting the world
- Ability to interact more effectively with speakers of the target language and to participate more effectively in the settings where the target language is used, in travelling, studying and working
- A greater capacity for intercultural understanding
- Greater understanding and acceptance of diversity
- Insight into the learner's own identity, values, heritage, and culture
- Broader employment opportunities, in both local and global contexts
More informationFor more about learning languages, see
- Canberra Academy of Languages Programs
- Canberra Academy of Languages News
- Canberra Academy of Languages Events
- Languages.Org.Au – a resource for learners of languages, managed by the Canberra Academy of Languages
- Languages Course Framework, ACT BSSS
- Australian Curriculum: Languages rationale (ACARA)
- Second languages and Australian schooling (Lo Bianco 2009)
Canberra Academy of Languages
Languages.Com.AuA resource for learners of languages, managed by the Canberra Academy of Languages: www.languages.com.au
Social mediaFollow us on
Last updated© Canberra Academy of Languages
Expanding opportunities for language learning
in the Canberra region